Short Story: The Lily
The Lily I wrote this short story in 8th grade. It is part of a class project where we combined our short stories into an anthology and publish it. You can find it on Amazon. My life used to be happy. Not perfect, but happy. My father left us when I was six years old. Our mother raised on her own ever since. I remembered during the spring times, my little sister, Anja, and I would run on the meadows barefoot, collecting flowers, and bringing them to mother. Our mother loved lilies. They used to grow around our house. I thought about those days when life was full of joy and color. Those days when there was a future. But those days are gone. And here I stood in the middle of nowhere in Lithuania. A nobody. Barefoot, cold, torn, hungry, exhausted, and hopeless. The sky was bleak, like the world had grown cold and mean. Well, it had, ever since the Red Army took over East Prussia. I will never forget that day in May 1945. The memory was stained in my mind and haunted me e...

Comments
Post a Comment